|slice-of-thai.com → Journal|
Since 1999, I have traveled quite a bit in Thailand and Laos. On this page you can check out my travel journals, which focus on people and customs that I found interesting. Some entries include pictures too. If you want to get any sort of general overview of the countries, read the Lonely Planet or a coffee table book.
Since December 2003, I have been living in a wonderful countryside town called Pai in the mountains of northern Thailand. You can find lots of information about Pai, with lots of pictures, at another site of mine, allaboutpai.com.
|2/15/99-4/16/99: First Trip|
- 2/15/99: Bangkok and Ayuthaya
- Grand Palace, Wat Po
- Markets and Tuk Tuks
- AUA Thai Language Course
- Ayuthaya Ruins
- General Bangkok/Thailand Observations
- 2/22/99: Northeast Thailand
- Bpaak Choong
- Kao Yai National Forest
- Cool Guesthouse in Nang Rong
- Phanom Rung Khmer Ruins
- Meung Tam Khmer Ruins
- Khon Kaen
- Nong Khai (part 1)
- 3/4/99: Lao
- Lao is Laos
- Vientiane, Capital City
- Kip: Crazy Currency
- Vang Vieng
- Transportation Found Lacking...But Entertaining
- Luang Prabang
- The Mischievous Monk
- Lao Aviation
- 3/13/99: Nong Khai and Chiang Mai
- Nong Khai (part 2): Kaen, Wat Khaek
- Sick in Thailand: Thai Hospitals!
- Chiang Mai: Tourist Town
- Lots o Wats
- Cooking School
- Chiang Mai Zoo
- Thai Massage
- 3/23/99: Chiang Mai Trek
- Lahu Village
- Lisu Village
- Bamboo River Rafting
- Elephant Riding
- 3/26/99: Beaches and Diving
- Khao Lak Beach
- Similan Islands Diving
- 4/4/99: Phang-Nga Bay, Kao Sok National Forest
- Phang-Nga Bay: Up and Coming Tourist Town
- Immigration Office Adventure.
- Ko Panyi: Thai Muslim Fishing Village
- Takua Pa
- Khao Sok: Tropical Forest
- 4/8/99: Bangkok and Songkran: The Final Frontier
- Meeting Friends
- Songkran: Thai New Year is a Water Fight!
- Khlong Bang Noi Canal in Bangkok
- Muay Thai: Thai Kickboxing
- Back to Bpaak Choong
- Farangs Play Songkran
|12/26/99-3/16/00: Third Trip|
- 12/26/99: Bangkok, Family, and Kanchanaburi
- New Year's in Bangkok at the Oriental Hotel
- Visiting Nang's family in North-East Thailand
- Kanchanaburi: River Kwai Bridge
- Sangkhlaburi: Much nicer
- Visiting students at Chulalunkorn University
- 1/23/00: Beaches and Parks in the South
- Krabi: beach, snorkeling
- Hot springs
- Cool blue pools
- Ko Muk: Emerald cave
- Ko Kradan, Ko Cheuak, Ko Libong: snorkelling and mangrove forests
- Haad Chao Mai national park
- Thale Noi wildlife sanctuary
- Cave: Tham Talay
- Rafflesia (Bua Puut) flower: biggest in the world
- Khao Sok national park: rainforest hikes, underwater cave
- 2/9/00: Damnoen, Bangkok, Pak Chong
- Baiyoke Tower in Bangkok
- Floating Market in Damnoen Saduak
- Poetry reading at "About Cafe"
- Chatuchak Park, Market
- BOI Fair
- Pak Chong Rock Concert: Loso
- Happy Trails Guesthouse
- 2/17/00: Back in Bangkok
- Ayuthaya, Bang Pa-In
- Bangkok cabs and the power of commission
|1/8/03-4/21/03: Fifth Trip|
- 1/8/2003-1/15/2003: Bangkok and Nong Khai
- Lao visa adventure
- Khao San in the movies
- Flight, Train to Nong Khai
- Phantawee—The Laminate Paradise
- Park with cave paintings, temple of the rich monk
- 1/16/2003-1/23/2003: Vientiane to Luang Prabang
- Buddha Park
- Impromptu English Teaching
- Vang Vieng Lonely Planet moment
- Baloon popping game
- Inner tubing downriver
- Minibus from hell
- Luang Prabang under construction
- Honking Bird
- Lao Lessons
- 1/24/2003-1/31/2003: Luang Prabang
- Tom Sawyer experience: rope swing over Kuang Si waterfall
- Royal Theater Dance Show
- Hill tribe trek and kayaking
- Random ride
- 2/1/2003-2/11/2003: Up the Nam Ou River
- Smooth travel by slow boat
- Nong Khiao - blessed guesthouse
- Meuang Ngoi - mama Juum, treks, caves, UXO, village temptress
- Meuang Kwaa - village on a hill
- Phongsali - beautiful ugly town, "Student" guides, long Akha/Puu Noi hill tribe trek
- Phongsali - banks, museums, schools and other government-run comedy
- 2/12/2003-2/14/2003: Innards of Lao
- 11 hour overland journey in 14 hours
- Udomxai - "Hey, we're in Delaware"
- Pakbeng local color: drugs, scams, and business as usual
- 2/15/2003-2/26/2003: Chiang Khong and Nan Province
- Chiang Khong's Bamboo Riverside - chillin' with Thai hippies
- Nan - no tourists
- Doi Phu Kha - relax in the cool mountain village, ride to views
- Pii Dtong Luang (Mabri) tribe - just me and the missionary
- 2/27/2003-3/12/2003: Chiang Mai and Pai
- Chiang Mai - visit happy expat who escaped the grind, Tha Phae market
- Pai - the Yawning Fields, musicians, adopted hill tribe
- Does your dog bite?
- 3/13/2003-4/8/2003: Favors and Culture
- Webmonkeying in Nang Rong
- Brochure, Poster for Honey Inn
- Printing in Bangkok
- Amazing Desperation, Amazing Generosity
- Nam Jai, Gadtanyuu, Greng Jai and Other Thai Mysteries
- Thai and Western Culture Clashes
- Phanom Rung Festival with Pictures (don't get used to it)
- 4/9/2003-4/21/2003: Ko Lanta
- Loud Beach, Louder Beach
- Last Beach
|12/2/03-12/20/03: Sixth Trip|
- Living Long Term in Pai
- Lots of pictures
- My House in the Village
- Novice Monk Initiation
- Temples, Music, and Sunsets
|08/13/05-10/11/05: Pai Floods of 2005|
|If you have enjoyed this site, here are a few ways that you can help me get time to expand it further: |
Use your credit card or PayPal to donate in support of the site.
Experience Thailand richly with my Talking Thai-English-Thai Phrasebook app.
Learn Thai with my Talking Thai-English-Thai Dictionary app for iOS, Android, Windows.
Don't leave home without the Thai-English English-Thai Compact Dictionary I co-authored.
I co-authored this bilingual cultural guidebook to Thai-Western romantic relationships.
Visit China easily with my Talking Chinese-English-Chinese Phrasebook app.
Pick a Thai learning book from my list or buy anything at all from Amazon.
|See Also||You'll probably also like these sites...|
A site about Pai, my peaceful home in the mountains of Northern Thailand.
Buzzword bingo, bill the borg, MEZ, lurker's guide to video, and Thai, oh my!
Party? Meeting? Request a map, label it yourself, and easily fling it to your friends!
See some of the worst the world has to offer, and add some of your own!
World's Stupidest Holiday and Birthday Presents - stupidest-presents.com
World's Stupidest Wedding Websites - stupidest-wedding-sites.com
World's Stupidest Baby Websites - stupidest-baby-sites.com
World's Stupidest TV, Movie, Music, and Sports Stars - stupidest-stars.com
World's Stupidest Politicians - stupidest-politicians.com
World's Stupidest TV Shows - stupidest-tv-shows.com
World's Stupidest Movies - stupidest-movies.com
World's Stupidest Blogs - stupidest-blogs.com
World's Stupidest Websites - stupidest-websites.com
World's Stupidest Company Websites - stupidest-company-sites.com
Travel with my friend Nang, who is a great nature, birding, and cultural guide.
My English-fluent Thai friend Jeed is a freelance illustrator who is available for hire.
|Copyright||Entire website copyright 1999-2016 Chris Pirazzi unless otherwise indicated.|
License for use: